Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Involuntary Separation

Human Resources and Skills Development Canada

When care for one's spouse can no longer be provided at home, couples are sometimes forced to live separately (such as in a Nursing Home). The spouse who remains at home may be placed in a difficult financial position. This is called an involuntary separation. If you are a senior receiving the Government of Canada Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) in addition to your Old Age Security (OAS), you may qualify for higher benefits.

Toll free (Canada and the United States)
For service in English: 1‑800‑277‑9914
For service in French: 1‑800‑277‑9915
TTY: 1‑800‑255‑4786

Agents are ready to answer your questions Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm local time and from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm in Newfoundland. Please have your Canadian social insurance number ready.
In addition, our automated telephone information system is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. With a touch-tone telephone you can get general information - Program news bulletins and monthly payment issue dates.

Involuntary Separation

  • Spouses/partners living apart for reasons beyond their control (nursing home)
  • GIS payments may be increased
  • Both spouses/partners 65 or over and receiving the GIS may be considered as either single, married or common-law whichever is to their advantage
If spouses or common-law partners are separated for reasons beyond their control (hospital or nursing home), contact HRSDC for more information.

Also known as a non-voluntary medical separation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say!